Monday, September 29, 2008

Chapter 4 Using Images to Drive Home Your Point

I found this chapter interesting and it made me think about the use of images. I have to say, I find it hard to decide on where to draw the line on what images should be published. I do believe though that the media should respect a families wishes when they have asked for their loved ones photos not to be used. Just because the media can access an image does do give them the right to air it. It's a hard call though and really the use of any image is a judegment call. I think one should think very hard before using an image which may be contreversial and decide if it is really needed to make a point.

2 comments:

Neyer said...

i just want to say that kate u are the best :P....i agree w/u to a certain point....i think the media should show most images...simply because the world needs to see what is going on and make their own judgment....there is been so many times where the government has hide stuff from us because is not on their best interest.... for example the war in Iraq, the reason the US entered it was because Iraq wouldn't let them check some restricted areas (supposedly where they had nuclear weapons) at the end Iraq didn't have a single nuclear weapon (they where getting ready like many countries like Iran, India, and North Korea but the US doesn't attack them and i ask myself why?. Countless lives where lost for no good reason, i think there are better ways to take down a terrorist like Saddam Hussein.

Oriyep said...

I agree that the media should respect families and certain peoples wishes. In the case of Daniel Pearl, I would feel horrible if the picture of my son's head being decapitated aired. That goes out to the paparazzi's too, I'm not a celebrity, but i know that it must be really annoying to have unwanted pictures of you being posted on the TMZ website!