Ruth Marcus
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/09/AR2008090902521_2.html
I enjoyed this article immensely. I have listened to people (mostly women) argue over this quite a bit since the announcement of Sarah Palin running for the Vice Presidency with Sen. McCain. I generally as a rule do not discuss my own view on politics with people, but can understand both sides of the argument on whether or not a woman could serve well as a Vice President. I would be lying though if I said that I am not disheartened a bit to hear a Mother’s ability to perform and succeed at such a task being questioned. The quote in the article made by Sally Quinn "Is she prepared for the all-consuming nature of the job?" Quinn wondered. "When the phone rings at three in the morning and one of her children is really sick, what choice will she make?" bothers me, and makes me question the progress woman are really making in society. Did anyone ask this same question of JFK when he ran for the Presidency? Our laws now give fathers equal rights to their children, but yet society still looks to the mother as being the primary caregiver. I’m not saying that I disagree that women aren’t generally the primary caregiver, but why the double standards? Why is it that we as a society will pass laws to give men equal treatment when it comes to their children, but we do not do the same when it comes to a women working? If Palin were a man there would be no issue with the fact that she has five children. Society would simply assume that the woman/wife would take care of the children and that the man would take those calls in the middle of the night without conflict. Are we then suggesting that these men who have come so far with their fight for equal parental rights do not, or cannot possibly care as much for their child simply because they are a man? Are we suggesting that when a father’s child is sick he doesn’t struggle with what to choose, his job or work? If we are then why is it that we have passed such laws granting them equal rights to their children if their heartstrings are not torn when making the choices mother’s do every day? In the article Marcus states “My husband is a terrific dad, but the stark truth is that he does not feel the same homeward tug.” Is she implying this is because of genetics or is it because of a conscious choice that both she and her husband have made? Why is it that a working women is questioned of her capabilities to both work and raise a family, but again men are not?
I am working mother, and do not feel that my job suffers because of this anymore than my male counterpart. I will agree that in my house I am the primary caregiver and it is I that knows all when it comes to my children. This isn’t because I’m a woman though, it is because of a conscious choice I made. I do not think any less of the working mother who chooses to share the burden equally with the father, nor do I think any less of the women who lets the father be the primary caregiver. Maybe this is the choice both Sarah Palin and her husband have made. Marcus states that she is not any less of a feminist for questioning Palin’s choice, “just A realistic one”, but I strongly disagree. How can one claim to be a true “feminist” when you question a woman’s choice, but not her male counterpart? Is that itself not sexist to question a person solely because of their gender?
I believe this article relies heavily on logic and reasoning (Logos). The author appeals to you with her statements geared towards a mother's sense of duty, and asks you to think logically about possible choices.
No comments:
Post a Comment